Wednesday, January 11, 2006

That John Denver...





















The weather in Nebraska has been absolutely crazy for the last month. And by absolutely crazy, I mean luscious. When I realized that half of the people in my office were making plans to golf this afternoon, I started to wonder about global warming. To quote the late Mike Peterson (MCM can correct me if this isn't accurate), we can discuss the science of global warming or we can sit around and talk, and I don't know a damn thing about the science of global warming.

So, I think the next scapegoat (I don't quite know if that's the right word to use when I'm referring to one who is responsible for what I'd consider a positive turn of events) is the good Old Farmers' Almanac. Check out what it had to say about the "North Central Region" for January and February:


January 20061st-3rd. Snow. 4th-7th. Stormy, with snow for the Dakotas,
Minnesota, Nebraska and Iowa. Mixed snow, sleet, and freezing rain for
Kansas and Missouri. 8th-11th. Unsettled, with blustery winds. 12th-15th.
Clearing. Chilly winds diminish. 16th-19th. Stormy. Heavy snow for the
Northern Rockies, with 8 to 16 inches possible. 20th-23rd. Clearing skies
and cold. 24th-27th. Unsettled and blustery. 28th-31st. Clouds, wind, and
snow.

February 20061st-3rd. Blizzard, with 16 inches possible. Clearing
away by the 3rd. 4th-7th. Fair and much colder. 8th-11th. Unsettled, with
snow for the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska, and sleet for Kansas and
Missouri. 12th-15th. More stormy weather. 16th-19th. Clearing and colder.
20th-23rd. Snow spreads east. 24th-28th. Yet another round of stormy weather
pushes in.
Yeah, I wouldn't describe today as "unsettled" or "blustery", other than the slight breeze that is caused by all of the golf clubs being simultaneously swung.
So, the moral of the story is, while its OK for me to say in August 2005 that Boston College will end up in the ACC Title game and the final top 10 and end up being wrong, it is not OK for the Farmers' Almanac to miss out on today's weather with a prediction that was proffered approximately 6 months ago.
I hope the Farmers' Almanac is as innacurate with their predictions for February as I was about Tennessee cruising through SEC East.






2 Comments:

Blogger JohnnyMitchell said...

Well, if it is going to give us 60+ degree days in January, I'm going to have a hard time being discipllined enough to stop emiting carbon and other me-made pollutants.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Brian Pope said...

I've read that book too. It will be a movie someday. I liked some of the points in that book.

Bono reminds me of the movie star character in that book.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home