Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Please let this be real


As I do every Tuesday over my lunch hour, I am checking out the new music available for the week on itunes. After sampling a little of Fiona Apple's angry new itunes originals collection and noting that Shawn Mullins, they guy who sang that Lullabye song that they played over and over again in the winter of 1999, apparently is still making music, I almost fell off my chair when I saw the new entry by Cowboy Troy, the cowboy rapper that has been tagging along with Big & Rich, the country group responsible for the "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" song which we all knew from the 2004 promos for the World Series of Poker.

Texas fans can't really think this is cool, can they? Austin is about as solid of a music city as there is on the map, which makes this even funnier. Obviously most teams have the radio-station created theme songs that get popular during a season or two (anyone remember the Hell-Raisin' Tour song they played on KFRX in 1987?), but getting the best country music rapper in the business to spearhead your team's anthem is taking things to another level.

I can already see myself sarcastically playing this gem during our tailgate when the Horns come to Lincoln next fall. And if I happen to catch a Texas fan after they get knocked out in the second round of the NCAA tournament this year or if their baseball team continues to be a huge failure, I'll be sure to comfort them by pointing out that they have one of the top rappers in the game on their side, and that things can't help but get better when Cowboy Troy is urging us all to "Hook Em!"

I did a little more research on this and I found this:

The originator of "Hick Hop" wrote the song with his friends and often times collaborators Big Kenny and John Rich of the Grammy nominated duo Big&Rich. "Hook ‘Em Horns" has the same energy as their other collaborations like the hit "I Play Chicken With The Train." "I hear that Coach Brown has heard the song and likes it," says Troy. "They tell me he’s been playing it for the team since we sent it to him and that’s really who we wrote the song for but hopefully other alums and fans of UT will want to crank it up for the Horns!"

A few lyrical highlights:

"Every down is like fourth and goal the other team is in the way and they're paying a toll"

"That ain't a lightning strike, that's a touchdown pass, and we're busting through the line of scrimmage like glass"

"Southern fried rage, comin' out the cage"

"Making other teams wonder, is it the Longhorns or is it thunder?"

"You can try to make a tackle or try to gain a yard, our offense and defense be hitting you hard"

I won't dillute the hilarity of this by attempting further comment. This day just got so much better.

You can get a complimentary WMA file here.

5 Comments:

Blogger JohnnyMitchell said...

I love this user review on Itunes, which gave it 5 of 5 stars.

"This is--without question--the best thing to happen to Texas A & M in the last decade."

12:25 PM  
Blogger Brian Pope said...

My Dad physically moved me into the living room when Big and Rich was playing during a country awards show. Cowboy Troy was rapping and my dad just looked at the TV in bewilderment and said "Now I've seen everything."

12:57 PM  
Blogger Trapper said...

We're gonna show the Big 12 how to block/ We're gonna pancake tackle them out of their jock

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont be Talkin smack about our lack of points/ Vince Young grabbed the cash and left this joint!

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Ramonce has the ball, yall best take heed/runs faster when he got four kilos o'da weed.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home